Order within 18 days to guarantee an earlier delivery

The coffee story

The Association PROCAP (Asociación de Pequeños Productores de Café de Altura Puyango) receives coffee from producers of three cantons: Paltas, Puyango and Las Lajas. The first two belong to the Loja province on the Southwestern side and the last belongs to the El Oro province by the Southeast. The area is home to the Bosque Petrificado de Puyango (Puyango’s Petrified Forest), a protected heritage site rich in species of animals and plants.

This coffee is being offered by FAPECAFES (Federación Regional de Asociaciones de Pequeños Cafetaleros Ecológicos del Sur), a nonprofit organization created in 2002 to gain market access for smallholders' coffee. FAPECAFES is a member-owned institution formed by 6 grassroots associations in the provinces of El Oro, Loja and Zamora-Chinchipe. There are around 1200 members, 95% of whom are small producers. The Federación is both Fairtrade and organic certified.
 
FAPECAFES are of influence in the South of Ecuador


Farmers associated with PROCAP grow coffee between 700 m and 1450 m above sea level. The average yearly rainfall is 1400 mm, concentrated mainly between December and May. The temperature ranges from 17,6℃ to 22,6℃, averaging 20℃. The region is blessed with a very fertile type of soil known as Alfisol, arable soils with good water retention and great for yearly crops such as coffee. They are formed under forests on top of clay deposits.

Though the three cantons under PROCAP’s influence have been the stage of experimentation with varieties, Typica has regained importance in the recent past due to its resistance to variable weather conditions and good results on the cup. Today, the main variety cultivated is Typica, followed by Caturra, Pacas, Colombia Seis, Bourbon, San Salvador and Catimor.

The harvest lasts around four months, from May to August, and peaks in June. Around 80% of the coffee production is made of selective picking fully washed lots that undergo floating and fermentation. The remainder 20% of the coffee is a mix of ripe, underripe and overripe cherries dried on the soil and sold internally.

The general profile of the region is:

  • Fragrance: Floral, caramel, chocolate, butter, honey, panela and aniseed. 
  • Sweetness: Medium.
  • Acidity: Refreshing with notes of lime, orange, blackberry and mandarin.
  • Balance: Well balanced.
  • Body: Creamy.
  • Aftertaste: Cherry-like. Can be tart.

The process

Fully Washed. The cherries are floated to remove floaters and foreign matter, then pulped, fermented for around 15 hours and rinsed. Drying occurs on “marquesinas” or raised beds made out of wood and concrete inside polytunnels used to protect the coffee from rain. Drying stops once the seeds reach the optimum 12% humidity level.
EC-2-202105

Puyango Fully Washed Blend - PROCAP Association

  • $7.1741 USD / kg FOB Conventional (no certification)
  • $7.1741 USD / kg FOB FairTrade
  • $7.1741 USD / kg FOB Organic
  • $7.1741 USD / kg FOB FairTrade + Organic
Origin
Ecuador
Variety
Caturra, Bourbon, Typica, Pacas, San Salvador, Colombia Seis, Catimor
Process type
Fully washed
Altitude range
700m - 1450m
Harvest period
May, 2021 - August, 2021
Algrano's cupping score (SCA)
85.5 points
Available quantity
275 X 69 kg bags
  • Green or roasted samples are available
  • Upcoming shared shipments
    • Release from warehouse in Bremen from February, 2022
      Orders possible until 2021-11-15
  • Custom shipments available
  • Doorstep delivery available
    We can arrange delivery to your roastery
FAPECAFES
Produced by PROCAP
  • Cooperative
  • Organic, FairTrade
Offered by FAPECAFES
  • Ecuador
  • 1 sales on Algrano
  • 1 Average orders per roaster
  • 1 Roaster relationships
  • Seller relationships with Roasters in

The coffee story

The Association PROCAP (Asociación de Pequeños Productores de Café de Altura Puyango) receives coffee from producers of three cantons: Paltas, Puyango and Las Lajas. The first two belong to the Loja province on the Southwestern side and the last belongs to the El Oro province by the Southeast. The area is home to the Bosque Petrificado de Puyango (Puyango’s Petrified Forest), a protected heritage site rich in species of animals and plants.

This coffee is being offered by FAPECAFES (Federación Regional de Asociaciones de Pequeños Cafetaleros Ecológicos del Sur), a nonprofit organization created in 2002 to gain market access for smallholders' coffee. FAPECAFES is a member-owned institution formed by 6 grassroots associations in the provinces of El Oro, Loja and Zamora-Chinchipe. There are around 1200 members, 95% of whom are small producers. The Federación is both Fairtrade and organic certified.
 
FAPECAFES are of influence in the South of Ecuador


Farmers associated with PROCAP grow coffee between 700 m and 1450 m above sea level. The average yearly rainfall is 1400 mm, concentrated mainly between December and May. The temperature ranges from 17,6℃ to 22,6℃, averaging 20℃. The region is blessed with a very fertile type of soil known as Alfisol, arable soils with good water retention and great for yearly crops such as coffee. They are formed under forests on top of clay deposits.

Though the three cantons under PROCAP’s influence have been the stage of experimentation with varieties, Typica has regained importance in the recent past due to its resistance to variable weather conditions and good results on the cup. Today, the main variety cultivated is Typica, followed by Caturra, Pacas, Colombia Seis, Bourbon, San Salvador and Catimor.

The harvest lasts around four months, from May to August, and peaks in June. Around 80% of the coffee production is made of selective picking fully washed lots that undergo floating and fermentation. The remainder 20% of the coffee is a mix of ripe, underripe and overripe cherries dried on the soil and sold internally.

The general profile of the region is:

  • Fragrance: Floral, caramel, chocolate, butter, honey, panela and aniseed. 
  • Sweetness: Medium.
  • Acidity: Refreshing with notes of lime, orange, blackberry and mandarin.
  • Balance: Well balanced.
  • Body: Creamy.
  • Aftertaste: Cherry-like. Can be tart.

The process

Fully Washed. The cherries are floated to remove floaters and foreign matter, then pulped, fermented for around 15 hours and rinsed. Drying occurs on “marquesinas” or raised beds made out of wood and concrete inside polytunnels used to protect the coffee from rain. Drying stops once the seeds reach the optimum 12% humidity level.
Algrano
Algrano
Cupped: September, 2021
FAPECAFES
Seller (Pending)
Cupped: N/A
SCA Score
Algrano
85.5
Seller (Pending)
-
Key flavor notes
Algrano
Dark chocolate, Brown sugar, Dark berries, Plum, Spice
Seller (Pending)
-
Quality comment
Algrano
Sweet and full bodied, with medium citric acidity- quite crisp, sweet finish, and notes of plum and brown sugar. Intense and filling.
Seller (Pending)
-
Sensorial radar

FAQ


Shipping
Once the ordering period ends we will consolidate all coffees in a shared container. During transport, your coffee is fully insured. We will keep you informed about the shipment status.

Upon arrival of the coffee at the warehouse, you can choose between 2 delivery modes:

  • Doorstep delivery: We will take care of transport to your roastery. We will provide your coffee fully insured until it is ready for unloading from the truck at your roastery.
  • EXW (ex. warehouse) means that we will provide the coffee ready for pick-up at the terminal of the warehouse. You are responsible for organising transport and insurance from the warehouse to your roastery.

Currently, we can deliver coffee anywhere in Europe, except Hungary. For all European buyers, the coffee will be provided custom cleared in any case. Roasters in Switzerland choosing EXW will be responsible for customs clearance.

Currencies
When calculating price, you can select your preferred currency: USD, CHF, EUR, or GBP.

2 payment methods are accepted on Algrano:

1. Buy now, pay later
Pay your coffee after its delivered in Europe. This option generates an additional fee, displayed in the shopping cart.

3. Pay 10 days after placing the order
We will send you a 10 day invoice straight after you placed your order.