Full-Stack Ruby on Rails Engineer
Remote (Europe only), 80%-100%
Algrano is a Swiss tech and coffee startup that changes the global trade of coffee. We have set ourselves an ambitious goal: to revolutionize the centuries-old coffee trade industry and make it transparent and digital. Through the Algrano online platform, coffee growers promote and sell their coffees straight to roasters in Europe without worrying about the logistics. Awarded at our launch in 2015 as the best innovation by the European Coffee Industry Association, we currently count more than 1’000 growers and roasters from all over the world. Backed by a strong investors' network our vision is to become the key direct coffee trading platform.
As a Full Stack Engineer, you will be part of the product team that is responsible for building the web platform. You will work in close collaboration with other engineers (Fabio, Zmago, Piotr and Sebastian), the Product Owners (Jovana, Krysia and Simon), UI/UX designers (Jon and Eugenia) and the Chief Product Officer (Christian). We use an adopted agile process to ensure we work on important tasks, deliver high quality and get things done. Algrano is a web application developed in Ruby on Rails. You will work on various parts of the application, from user facing features like building the marketplace to business specific features to support coffee logistics.
Your tasks will include:
- Develop within the Ruby on Rails framework and related technologies
- Participate in solution design with the PO and other team members
- Continuous integration, frequent deployments
- Live weekly tech and product meeting, otherwise asynchronous communication is preferred (Trello, Basecamp, Slack)
- Regular team gatherings and events in Europe
- You will be a critical member of our team, regardless of your level of experience, and we want you to grow with us.
The web and technology is like your second home and talking about it makes you excited. You see code as a tool to express yourself and you love collaborating on a product you see value in. Your goal is to build great solutions that users love and enjoy using.
Your strength include:
- Quality assurance: you are proud to deliver high quality code, you write unit tests and you are familiar with feature test frameworks
- Communication skills: You understand that a big part of software engineering is communication work. You feel comfortable talking about requirements and you also like to participate in technical discussions.
- Problem solving skills: You love cracking puzzles. Maybe that's writing code on personal projects; maybe that's doing thousand-piece jigsaw puzzles; maybe that's Rubik's cubes. You strive to understand how things are put together and why they aren't working.
Your experience, background and skills:
- 2+ years experience with Ruby on Rails or master a similar technology
- 2+ years experience with JS, HTML, CSS
- Experience with behavior-driven testing frameworks, such as RSpec and Cucumber
- You have proven experience in remote work
- Very good command of English (spoken and written)
- You are located in Europe
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Github, Heroku, Continuous Integration tools
- If you have worked in a startup and know about the challenges
- Motivation and willingness to learn about a new business domain
Why work for Algrano?
- You are part of a growing and talented team, united around a mission.
- As a member of Algrano you have a place in a diverse organization made of many cultural backgrounds and skills.
- We’re dedicated but know that you also have a life. That’s why we offer flexible working hours.
- For coworkers located in the Zürich office, we eat lunch together and, of course, drink frequent coffees.
- For remote coworkers, we invite you once per quarter to meet in Zurich with the entire team.
- We provide you with a computer or participate in buying new hardware to make sure you will enjoy your time with us.
- High quality code base: we understand the need to clean the kitchen after cooking and strive to maintain our code as elegantly as possible.