Nkora Washing Station 4 pictures
Nkora is a piece of Rwanda’s history. It was built in 1957, before the independence in 1962, by the Office Des Cultures Industrielles Du Rwanda (OCIR) in the Mushinyi sector, Rutsiro district, Western Province. It is the oldest and biggest washing station in the country. Until the early 2000’s it stood alone. We bought the washing station in 2003. It had been refurbished in 1986 by OCIR and it was further renovated by us. With guidance from Kenyan and Burundian professionals brought in by the government, Nkora became Rwanda’s pioneer producer of washed coffees, a process that would lead the local coffee sector to where it is today.